IE8 Developer Tools Debugger Stuck Off-Screen
Amusingly enough, the balloon was pointing up, suggesting that my missing window was in that direction. I hoped it would stop happening after a reboot, but unfortunately, this was not the case. To make matters worse, trying to killing the process wasn’t easy, as it often took a good two minutes for the kill command to take effect. I believe this was because the process was in a debug state, rather than running as normal.
After dealing with this problem for a few weeks, I eventually showed the behavior to a co-worker, François. Upon seeing it, he suggested I try moving the window through the Windows context options, and sure enough, that worked.
Below are the necessary steps:
- Right-click the “Developer Tools” window in the taskbar.
- Select the “Move” option.
- Press the one of the arrow keys. (This should make the Developer Tools window appear directly under your mouse cursor.)
- Move the mouse until you can see the “Developer Tools” window completely.
- Left-click to stop the “Move” operation.
After following those steps, my Developer Tools window returned to the real world.
Thanks to François